Thursday 30 September 2010

'Exotic' wasn't a word I would use to describe myself...

Yet it would seem that here in Chile, that is what I am.

It's very strange to get used to feeling like the foreigner. In the UK, many of our communities, particularly the big cities, are incredibly diverse (apologies for citing an over-used phrase). In Birmingham especially, as Carlos has observed, "everyone is a foreigner". I am used to passing a multitude of nationalities, ethnicities and languages every day in the street.

But in Santiago, it's a different story; the population is largely homogeneous in how it looks and Spanish entirely dominates conversation. So I stick out like a sore thumb.

For instance, on the Metro, I can easily see over the heads of an entire packed carriage. Women here on average rarely pass the 5ft mark. Men, perhaps 5'5 or 5'6. Some of the younger generation a little more.

Then the other day, when coming out of the ladies in a shopping centre, a small girl walking towards me literally stopped in her tracks and stared up at me in slightly alarmed wonder. I hope I didn't startle her too much.

Similarly, I was busy observing a family last weekend - who looked as traditionally South American as you might expect - only to realise that the mother had done a double take and turned right round to stare back at me!

So I have come to the conclusion that I am a giant here, all awkward limbs and gawkiness. Add to that my 'pasty' skin and you have the makings of someone apparently 'exotic'. Suddenly I'm a head turner - what a novel experience!

1 comment:

  1. Keep at it girl. In a few weeks it will start to feel like more like home and you will forget dreary Birmingham and Solihull(well not completely). You'll get used to the language too. Spent 3 months in Jerez some years ago. Didn't speak a word of Spanish but eventually started to understand some words. Never got past being able to order two pints of San Miguel though.

    ReplyDelete