Sunday 1 May 2011

A time of amazing opportunities

I was reflecting this morning on some of the amazing things I've done since I arrived here in Chile. And it occurred to me that not only am I on an incredible adventure in an incredible country, but that I am having opportunities to experience some of the most normal things in an amazing way.

Take for instance, last Friday's royal wedding. As previously expressed, I'm not particularly a royalist, and was becoming a little tired of being constantly asked for my opinion on the nuptials as the resident Brit. However, I'd geared myself up to watch the ceremony comfortably curled up on the sofa in my pyjamas. I had to watch it for the dress at least!

That all changed though, when late on Thursday afternoon, an email came through to me at the I Love Chile office inviting us to cover a celebratory breakfast at the British Ambassador's house here in Santiago.

Pushing aside my qualms over posh networking events, where - gasp - I actually have to talk to people I don't know, I decided to attend. Boy am I glad I did.

I arrived at the Ambassador's residence in the exclusive neighbourhood of El Golf just before 7am, in time to see Kate Middleton enter Westminster Abbey and the dress revealed. Those invited were served tea in china cups (so very British) before settling down in front of a big screen to watch the event. The audience, made-up of various members of the British-Chilean community, sat attentively, lapping up the lashings of pomp and circumstance that reminded us all of home. Despite feeling weepy at various points (not least Jerusalem - if anything stirs-up a mixture of homesickness and patriotism in me it's that hymn), I managed to hold myself together!

Watching the wedding at the British Ambassador's
residence
Following the ceremony, we were served, what else, but a nice slice of cake. The Ambassador then gave a short speech, highlighting how this was the start of a period of celebration for the UK - with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the Olympic Games both coming up next year. I felt truly connected to home, regardless of the distance.

For me, this was a truly unforgettable morning. I don't think I would have ever had the opportunity to experience something like that if I had been at home; somehow, by being here, opportunities are magnified. Maybe because I only have 11 months here I am compelled to grab everything that's offered and truly savour every experience. Maybe because I am away, I have a new perspective. Either way, certain things that would otherwise be trivial, become spectacular.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed it in my jammas, but I wouldn't have passed up the opportunity to watch with the ambassador either! You move in fascinating circles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jayne, it sounds fantastic! I had a similar experience when living in Germany. Items about the UK on the news, or sporting events that ivolved English or British teams seemed to conjure up so much more emotion than they would if I was living in the UK.

    ReplyDelete