Saturday 6 November 2010

Birthday abroad

I wasn't sure how I would feel about my birthday abroad. I was a long way from home (over 7000 miles) and friends, family and the usual things I would do seemed far away. However, it all picked up when I managed to finally clean the oven (not our mess I should add) and bake some cakes!

So the day started at midnight with the cards and presents that had managed to withstand the postal system. I'm still looking forward to those that remain en route...

Then in the morning, it was a quick Spanish class - where I shared out the cakes with my fellow aliens - followed by a trip to Santiago's Museo de la Moda museum for an exhibition about 80s fashion. The museum's collection housed some amazing pieces, including couture from Jean Paul Gautier, Armani and Chanel to name just three, plus outfits that had belonged to Madonna, Princess Diana and U2.

Art installation at the Museo de la Moda
(nothing to do with Chilean traffic)
After popping to the shops (it had to be done, although weirdly, I didn't buy anything), I rounded off the day with a pint in an Irish pub with one of my classmates. Horror of horrors though, it was an Irish pub that didn't sell Guinness! How is that even allowed under the trade descriptions act? Still, the local brew went down equally as well.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a fab bday!!!

    love the pic with the cars, so so funny :-)

    ReplyDelete